Saturday, March 27, 2010

Meilo So and The Secret Life of Bees

Betcha never heard of her, huh?


Well I have. Because I was looking at the cover of "The Secret Life of Bees" (by Sue Monk Kidd) and thought to myself, "Gee, I like that book cover. I wonder who illustrated it?" So, via google books, I was able to read the first page of the book (that no one ever reads, I am sure, because it is all the legal mumbo-jumbo) and I found the words "Illustrations by Meilo So." 

So I googled her, too, and found other wonderful delights such as this:


and this:


and my most favorite, this:


(which is now happily displayed as my desktop background!!)

I just love the vibrance, life and color in her work. Whimsical, yet relatable!
 Hooray for Meilo So!


2 comments:

  1. Au contraire, Lizzy, librarians around the world read the copyright page, often called the "verso" page (because it is verso the title page) where all the information about the book that distinguish it as unique is written. It's quite informational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually heard of that book...I never read it though. Fun fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete