Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nat King Cole sang..

a song called "Smile" that i LOVE.
Lyrics say:

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining thru for you!

Light up your face with gladness,
Hide evey trace of sadness
Allthough a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying!
Smile, what's the use in crying!?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

Do I love that song? Yes.
Have I always loved it? Yes.
Is that my new philosophy? Yes.
Has it always been? Probably.

And that's why this blog is happening. Walking around campus today, I became PAINFULLY aware of the general lack of enthusiasm and, well, smiling in the people around me. Why aren't people smiling? The winter can't suck THAT bad - i don't think it's THAT cold - I don't think we're all in hate with the idea of a new president - getting an education, while cumbersome to personal hobbies and general time management, isn't SO BAD that we can't smile every once in a while! It hurt me to see such sad faces. And i wondered "Where did all the smiles go!!"

As for me, i may just be more sensitive to it all because i've been smiling so much lately. In fact, I'm finding it a rare moment for me NOT to be smiling. I suppose i'm just really feeling the hand of God in my life, and i can't help but be glad beyond all verbal expression!! Maybe that's why i notice the opposite?

I wish i could just barf joy onto people - minus the digesting food components and stomach acid.
I wish people would let themselves be happy.
I wish i could convince people that optimism really is a way to sustain life, just as much as carbohydrates, water or Vitamin D.
I wish people wouldn't feel so burdened - not by things that ARE a burden. Yeah, it's okay to feel the stress of responsiblities - but i wish people wouldn't create unnecessary burdens within themselves that take away the smiles from their beautiful faces. You know, those brudens like "social norms," "self doubt," and "appropriateness."
I wish i could infuse the Provo water system with endorphins.
I wish i could play Nat King Cole or even sing like Buddy the Elf over some universal P.A. system and tell jokes with absolutely no shame so folks could laugh at me instead of worry about themselves.
I wish i could go all around campus and make snow angels on every patch of snow so people would remember the ones watching over them every day.
I just wish people would have faith in the attractiveness of their own smile, and trust that science really did prove that the mere act of smiling really does improve your mood.


Because you know what? Life really IS still worthwhile if you just smile.

Or not, sometimes i guess.

3 comments:

  1. That's so funny, because I've been thinking something along these lines lately! I was noticing that people reserve a special (not-so-special) little half-smile for people they pass that they make eye contact with. It's more like they smile so as not to appear rude for looking at you as you walk or something. So I've been trying to make sure my smiles to the random people I pass are as genuine as I can make them.

    P.S. I've also noticed that I feel the spirit roughly a bajillion times stronger when I smile while I sing the hymns on Sunday. Give it a try and tell me what you think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you're wondering if I want to print out this blog and paste it in my journal?

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog, it's like watching the movie Pollyanna. :) You're always coming up with reasons to be glad, and that's awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete