Monday, June 27, 2011

The Psychology of Audiences


If I were to study anything, at this point in time, it would be the theory/psychology/what-have-you behind audiences.

As previously mentioned, I'm in a show. A show that has audiences.

Monday night audiences are typically not as responsive as Saturday night audiences, which are always far more skeptical than Friday night audiences (which are the preferred bunch.)

Then there are the week-day audiences. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday-ers typically got some sort of 2-for-1 deal, and thus have less of a financial (and thus, emotional) investment in the show. Dull.

Thursday audiences are tired, typically with a vibe of "Go ahead. Entertain me. I'm exhausted and I DARE you to entertain me."

I know. It can be a little terrifying.

But all in all the question is this: WHY? Why the trends. How do exhausted people all agree to go on Thursday. Why do fun people all agree to go on Friday? Is there some sort of underground network of show-goers? Perhaps a show-goer message board with a "Monday," "Tuesday," Wednesday," etc. thread? Do they coordinate it ahead of time?

Or maybe there's a union. A show-goers union. And there's always a representative at each show who gets the word out: "Hey, man, you're at the Friday show. Be sure to laugh loud and clap hard."

It's fascinating. Really, it is.

Too bad I'm not looking to do a research-based masters degree any time soon.

4 comments:

  1. I thought about switching my major from history and psychology to theatre and psychology...I totally feel you on this one! Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - that's one of the reasons I love surveys so much, I feel like I'm a little closer to figuring people out. Although, surveys have their own psychology- like why on a 1-10 scale, no one rates themselves a 1 or 10.

    ReplyDelete